August 10, 2008

I love Black Men

This weekend has brought two shocking bits of bad news. First it was a rumor, that within two days was actually true.

I got a text message on Thursday night that Bernie Mac had passed. It was only after I had forwarded this message to the majority of my contacts that I started getting calls from friends telling me that this was an error - only a rumor. But Saturday morning, as I went to work at the hair salon, the sisters were all buzzing about how he was really gone. I think the false alarm of Thursday took some of the edge off finding out on Saturday that Bernie Mac had really passed on.

So in the midst of just letting that lingering in my processes, on Sunday afternoon, my daughter tells me that Isaac Hayes had died. I didnt want to believe it. I made her verify this information with several websites before I was willing to believe it.

But now, I am simply thinking about two men, Black men, whose friends and families will miss them. I, as well as, plenty of other fans who admired the talents of these individuals, are in our own phase of mourning.

As quite of a secret as it is kept, Black men are loved. Not only for their professional abilities, but simply for their presence in their family and community. We recognize that some dont make the positive contribution to the world that they are capable of, but we recognize their potential. We hope for them to realize their own potential, and even follow through with reaching the top of their own capability.

There is something beautiful in the Black Man. Something that cant totally be explained, that words really may not be sufficient to express, but it is the recognition that allows us to appreciate the ability to survive. Black men survive. In the midst of stress, and social misconceptions, economic hardships, racial profiling, and against all odds statistics- Black men survive.

The resilience that come from adversity, builds character in a way that a silver spoon lifestyle could never produce. This political election brings about a continually unspoken question from the mainstream - 'where did Obama come from'. Really what they want to know, is how did he complish so much, so fast, and how did he receive so much attention for doing right and positive. It is quite funny, because the story is being told over and over about his being raised in Hawaii and so forth, but that is not really what they want to know.

Somewhere along the way, there has been this idea that only a few will survive, but what they didnt realize is that since the first Africans were brought to this country, they were looking at survivors. The ones who made it to the auction block had already survived the elements and situations of the journey to the Americas in the belly of a ship. Every African that stepped off those ships was already a survivor, just for living through the journey, the mistreatment, and the emotion of fear brought on from facing the unknown outcome.

So when there are those who 'make it' and come up from the 'hood', and into mainstream fame, we respect them for their ability to function in the world, as well as for their ability to use the gifts given by God.

I cant help but to believe that with continued love and support, more Black Men will find their way to reaching their own dreams, and flourishing in every aspect of life.

Two men who are respected for their individual contributions to the Arts will be missed. I cant even imagine how my own appreciation of music would have developed without the influence of 'Black Moses'. And I wonder if I would have ever really paid attention to other comedians without having noticed the 'real' stage presence of the 'tell it like it is' style of stage presentation of the man who I will always remember as 'Jangle Leg'.

I am thankful to all the Black Men who are making positive strides in the journey of life. I respect the strength and courage it takes to be a Black Man in this world. As far as I am concerned, the Black Man is God's greatest creation.

RIP:
Bernie Mac
Isaac Hayes

No comments: